God’s love is so strong that He promises He will never abandon us, never leave us. So how do we respond to this promise; do we embrace God? Do we embrace our circumstances, our present life, or the struggle we face today?
I discovered a powerful “aha moment” in John Eldredge’s book, Walking With God. He says believers in God assume a naïve, unquestioned lie:
- Because we believe in God and
- because He is love
- He is going to give us a happy life.
I have learned in my journey another truth he explains: as long as my happiness is tied to THINGS I can lose, I am VULNERABLE– vulnerable to Satan’s lie, to question God’s motives. When the gifts He gives me are more important than He is, I am vulnerable to Satan’s attack on my heart. Satan waits for any weakness in my defenses to plunge my heart into despair.
Embracing God is a choice.
Making room for Him is a choice.
Embracing God requires surrender.
I am thankful today:
- that joy can replace fear, discouragement, anger, despair.
- I have a deeper understanding of God’s desires for me.
- that the joy of the Lord will make me strong. (Nehemiah 8:40)
- that my joy can be complete, full and overflowing because of Christ’s love that is in me. (John 15:11)
Joining the Five Minute Friday community with a one word prompt. We write for five minutes (I confess, I’m not so good at the time limit), post it, and then link up over at Kate’s blog.